Sunday, January 18, 2009

Shadows are Stupid

Shadows are probably the hardest thing I've tried to do, and seem like they can only really be learned using references. I remember back in Grade 8 or something, I had an art-class that forced me to draw pears. Despite the fact that all of my pears had nipples on them, they seemed pretty realistic, and that was all thanks to shading.

Breaking this shit down, you have three basic levels of light, I guess.

There's highlight, which is where the light-source is hitting the object directly.








Midtone, which is the varying level between light and shadow.








And finally, Shadow. This is where the light is hitting the target least.









Using the powerful SECRET knowledge that light interacts in such a way, I was able to craft this masterpiece.













I gave up the only girl who loved me so I could play football one time how gay is that.


I want you to look at this drawing like the film Rudy. He tries and he tries and he tries, plays one game when the team is already in a vast lead and his actions have no actual impact on the outcome, then dies of cancer. That's like this picture I drew. I didn't actually look at a human face while I did it, nor did I really finish it or even touch the right side, and it shows. Still, there is some spots where I feel confident things are semi-correct, like the highlight on the cheek and the shadows beneath the eyes. Despite it not really turning out human, I still think I probably learned some stuff here. It's a bit harder to do drawings on the tablet, especially when shading, so I deserve mad props for that shit.