Monday, January 19, 2009

Who draws a shoe honestly

Today I decided to try my best and draw something from reference. The thing most often recommended is different kinds of fruits. I roamed around my house in search of fruit. Fruitless in my efforts, I found an old shoe that had contours and a shiny coating. I plotted it down in front of me and tried to resist the urge to put it on my foot (that is where shoes are supposed to be).

I learned a few things today.

1) It is important to draw big when you are doing something that has to have a lot of detail. I didn't do this.

2) Measuring is important, and you should use your pencil and mentally mark a reference point.

3) I don't know how to do the thing I listed second, so I just eyed it.

It's not perfect, but I'm fairly happy with how this turned out, considering my fatal errors of policy.



The photo was taken after I drew the shoe, and it wasn't snapped from the same angle. Still, there's plenty of other issues that make this less and less of the shoe it deserves to be. The belt going across the top is too thin, there's several areas that aren't highlighted when they should be, and discrepancies in all sorts of places. The reason why I HAD most of these problems is because this drawing is about three inches wide, and I simply could not do enough detail. In the future I'm going to employ the pencil measuring technique so I can actually get things at the right scale.

I guess I really shot myself in the foot on this one, HAHAHAH fuck that's funny.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You've got 2 left feet when it comes to drawing.

Spokker said...

That looks like a baby shoe. Was that a shoe from your youth? Any bad memories associated with that shoe? Is drawing is cathartic? Is that the shoe you were wearing when a loved-one, possibly grandpa, touched you? Tell me about it. I'm here for you, Grimes.