Saturday, January 17, 2009

You are really just a bunch of spheres and stuff

Today, I am learning the fundamentals. This includes an includes an introduction to the following:

-Lines
-Shapes
-Perspective
-Negative Space
-Shadows
-Proportion
-Measuring with my pencil

Whenever I look at something really amazing, such as Superman, I notice that he is very hard to draw. There's all sorts of muscles, shadows, and it's always from a perspective that seems difficult to mentally picture. How does someone do this stuff? The internet tells me it's about breaking everything down into smaller parts.

According to legend, two parts of your brain are constantly at war. There's the logical half, which tells you that "a cup is a cup what you are drawing is something stupid and definitely not a cup stop it!" and there's the artistic half, which says "When you draw two vertical lines connected a curve it will look like a cup!" It seems like learning to understand how everything can be broken down isn't about using that artistic side as much as it is telling your logical mind to shut the fuck up, and believe that after you're finished with all these lines and curves, you'll have superman.

Tracing something is easy for obvious reasons, but one key reason is because your mind is breaking everything down into lines, curves, and shapes. You're not really focusing in making a "hand" as you go, you're thinking about segments.

What if Tom Hanks was retarded?

This is one of the many horrible horrible sketches I've done throughout the day. I'd say I did about 30 or so, and this is one of the good ones. There's plenty of issues with it so I don't really need to point any out, and I didn't really want to correct them. What formats should I be uploading these abortions, in?

I've been using Drawing Coach because I need a coach in my life, and he has some pretty good guides on how to setup proportions and some formulas for making things look right. http://www.learn-to-draw.com/ is also a nice resource to get re-acquainted with my artistic side.

That's it.

1 comment:

Spokker said...

I've found that this book is also intrumental in learning how to become a great arist.